Friday, March 9, 2012

How can I identify mushroom spore prints? With and without a microscope?

I would like to know how one can identify a mushroom by it's spore print. Such as the color by which I have read so far somewhat narrows it down and how I can identify a mushroom by looking at its spores maginified by a microscope to narrow it down to one type of mushroom? And if a chart of spore print color or whatever is avalible it would be appreciated.How can I identify mushroom spore prints? With and without a microscope?
I'm not aware of any spore print chart is available, but what you need to do is get a mushroom field guide that covers the region you live in, and make sure it has a dichotomous key in it. You don't want the kind where you are just trying to match a picture to the mushroom in front of you.



The dichotomous key will include spore print color as one of the primary identifying characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment